Tips for Getting the Best Fuel Economy
If you are looking to improve your vehicle’s fuel economy, you are at the right place! Improved fuel economy not only benefits the environment by releasing fewer emissions but also saves drivers a lot of money. Drivers tend to blame their vehicles for poor mileage; however, a vehicle’s fuel economy also depends on an individual’s driving style. If you want to improve the mileage of your vehicle, the easiest way is to modify your driving habits. With that in mind, our team at Kimber Creek Ford in Pine River, MN, has some tips for you to get the best fuel economy.
Top 5 Techniques to Improve Your Fuel Economy
- Rapid acceleration, braking, and speeding result in the wastage of gas. Such driving habits can affect fuel economy between 15% to 30%, depending on the vehicle. To avoid this, you can go easy on the gas pedal for a smoother ride and better mileage.
- The fuel economy tends to decrease above 50 miles per hour. While every vehicle has its own optimal speed for good fuel efficiency, speeding can reduce mileage by 7% to 14%. Hence, the better option is to drive slowly.
- When you operate a cold engine, it leads to reduced fuel economy. Therefore, you can start the engine and drive at a normal speed, allowing the car to cruise through smoothly without affecting your mileage.
- Another tip would be to anticipate your road conditions beforehand. You can monitor the traffic ahead and time the stoplights to maintain momentum while avoiding unnecessary braking and acceleration.
- If you know that you will be halting for more than a minute, the best thing to do is shut off your engine. A vehicle consumes more fuel when it is idle as compared to when it is restarted.
Read more: Tips to Know When to Change Your Tires
In addition to improving your driving habits, you must also maintain your vehicle regularly. Less maintained vehicles are not efficient and use more fuel, resulting in a reduced fuel economy. If your Ford is due for a service, visit us at Kimber Creek Ford in Pine River, MN, and we will take the best care of your vehicle.